A happy me

A happy me
family - is everything

Friday, July 27, 2012

Our Frugal List

Honestly I find it a bit hard to think of being frugal w/o taking into consideration how much high fructose corn syrup, or sugar, or GMO's are in the food being purchased weekly w/ all those coupons.  I did the coupon thing for a year, and honestly, there wasn't much in those flyers I'd clip for my family.  I've read so many blogs on how people survive on $1300 a month etc...well I'm here to tell you that This family of 4 survives on $24k a year and eats ORGANIC.  It can be done.

Things we do to be frugal:

1.  Going to farmers markets where you can meet and get to know your local farmers is the best thing for our family.

2.  We have our own chickens

3.  Grow our own heirloom garden

4.  Thrift whenever we can...meaning, if I need clothes for the kids, I shop at a resale store. and Goodwill for myself and hubby.  Rarely do we buy something new.

5.  Our vehicles are old and paid for.

6.  I try to only make one trip into town each week for the grocery store, library, and errands so I am saving on gas which at this point in time is at $3.59 in our town.

7.  I start shopping for Christmas in the summertime.  I buy a few things at a time on sale...if it's not 50% off, I won't buy it.  I've often bought used toys on ebay.

8.  I learned how to cook.  This saves us so much money!  We rarely eat out!  When we do it's a real treat.  Mr. Eye Candy tells me he doesn't ever need to eat out when he has such good food at home. :)

9.  I learned how to can our food.  My neighbor gave me (yes GAVE ME) an All American Pressure canner this summer, and I can't wait to try it!  I did order a new gauge for it though...it's an oldie!  They never die though.  By canning our own garden goods I save our family a lot of money at the grocery store AND I'm prepared for an emergency at the same time by storing food! (another thought on this is...get to know your neighbors!  we're very fortunate to have a great neighbor on one side of us.)

10.  We try to re-purpose as much as we can.  Example:  we used an old metal futon frame as doors for our chicken coop! The bed was free!  The hardware to hang them $8.  Mr. Eye Candy also made a pot hanger in my kitchen from an old window!  Hardware was under $10. Window was free.  We're also building a second coop for the chickens out of FREE pallets and hardware we already had in the garage.  We may wind up spending about $20 to create the rest of the coop.  Not bad.

11.  We live in a 1300 sq. ft house and we're always on the lookout to find new ideas to utilize our space better!  USE WHAT YOU HAVE.  Living in a smaller house keeps the clutter down...sort of. ha

12.  I purchased a clothes line so I can hang out my laundry this summer!  Which will save on electric!

13.  Date night is basically a good cooked meal at home...and movie night for myself and Mr. Eye Candy.  This is fun for us!   We usually budget in a few movies each year for purchase (mostly birthdays and Christmas).  We also have a gas station about 10 miles away that rents movies for about $2.

14.  I make my own bread.  This can be done for about $1 a loaf!  Compared to the good breads at the store that are $3 on sale!

15.  My husband hunts during deer season each year and we pray he gets one this year!!!  We have a freezer and will be buying another used one today for meat storage.  With the $ we've saved from our road side stand sales.

What do you do that is frugal?  I love new ideas!  We have decided that at this point we will keep the TV on...in the future this may be something we give up as a family.  We also have cell phones and our Wireless for the internet.  These are 3 things that we enjoy and see as "extra's" in our lives.  However, we own a business (lawn care) and the internet is almost a must have for billing and communication..as well as our phones.  So really the one big luxury item is the TV.

Have a great frugal weekend everyone!


4 comments:

  1. I rarely use coupons for food either because I don't like what they buy. I do use them for household goods like toilet paper and shampoo though. ;) We live in an apartment style condo so our gardening options are limited and we definitely can't keep chickens. We do grow tomatoes, salad greens and herbs on our balcony though, and I grow sprouts and pea shoots indoors year 'round. I buy produce and meat when it's in season and less expensive and can. A lot! We eat less meat than we used to, and walk more. We launder in cold water and hang as much as we can to dry. One of the very most important things we do is waste less than we used to. We're very mindful of that old saying "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I launder in cold water too! That is something I forgot about! Good one! Way to go, Aunt B! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coupons are impossible here because the grocery stores here don't take them. My parents live in town but bought 5 chickens anyway so I never have to buy eggs which I love. Do you have a rain barrel? My parents made their own from the rain from the eaves spout so they never have to use water from the hose for their garden or flowers. Even if you don't pay for your water - you pay for your electricity to run the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing your frugal ways!

    ReplyDelete